The character class you choose in Diablo II can say a lot about the way you see the game and the style in which you want to play it. For example, if you opt for a tanky Barbarian, you are going to kill demons using an ax or a sword. And if, on the other hand, you choose a glass-cannon Sorceress, you are more into mystic powers capable of exterminating monsters from a distance. Initially, the game had only five character classes. But, when the sequel, or as they call it expansion set, appeared, two new characters became members of the crew. When you choose your character, you will limit the set of skills and weapons you have at your disposal, and irreversibly determine your journey through the game. And, that is what we are going to talk about in this article. So check it out!
Diablo 2 Classes
At the very beginning of Diablo II: The Lord Of Destruction, you will have to choose one of seven characters, and they are as follows: Druid, Assassin, Necromancer, Barbarian, Paladin, Amazon, and Sorceress. Each of the characters comes with a unique set of strengths and weaknesses and will significantly determine your playing style. As you progress through the game, you will change your character beyond recognition by upgrading the skills you find important. Since it will eventually be the result of choices you made at turning points in the game, your character is also a unique representation of your style and your approach to the game. And, this is one of the most important characteristics of the game and the reason why so many gamers stick with it for such a long time. As you probably already know, you won’t have enough time to maximize all the skills of your Diablo 2 characters, so good decision-making will be one of the most important conditions for success. Every time you upgrade one of the skills, you will make a decision not to upgrade some other skill.
Making the Right Choice
As soon as you begin your Diablo 2 journey, you will have to choose what class you want to play with. And, your Diablo 2 character selection, will depend on several factors. They are as follows:
- Gender Preferences — In Diablo 2, genders are predetermined depending on the character you choose. That means you won’t be able to choose a female Necromancer or a male Assassin. The genders are listed below:
- Druid — Male
- Assassin — Female
- Paladin — Male
- Necromancer — Male
- Sorceress — Female
- Barbarian — Male
- Amazon — Female
- What Type of Armor and Weapons Do You Like the Most? — Just like genders, weapon sets and different armors can differ greatly depending on the character you choose. Druids have pelts, Barbarians rely on helms, and Necromancers have shrunken heads.
- What Skills Do You Want to Have At Your Disposal? — As we mentioned at the beginning of our Diablo 2 class guide, each character has a unique set of skills. For example, Sorceress is an elemental hero, Druid is a Werewolf, and Barbarian relies on the whirlwind.
- What Way Do You Want Your Hero To Fight? — Are you looking for a melee fight or a range warrior? Those who are looking for swords and axes will rely on Barbarian and Paladin. And, those who want to kill from a distance will choose an Amazon or a Sorceress.
- What Is Your Strategy? — Diablo 2 is often described as a collection game. And, that is because your goal is to get ahold of the best items in the game. Some of the best items are reserved for certain characters, so if you really want to use some weapon, you will have to decide at the very beginning.
The Druid is the classic earth-warrior who can combine the power of nature and chemical elements to defeat evil. He can also turn into a Werewolf or a Werebear and mutilate his opponents. And, on top of all that, he can also summon mystical creatures to fight instead of him. He can manipulate the forces of nature and direct them to his enemies.
The Assassin is the master of traps, shadow disciples, and martial arts. It is a classic shadowy character who can move without producing a sound and kill in a matter of seconds. She is the absolute master of the art of killing and everyone knows it. Maybe that’s the reason why this is one of the most popular characters in the game.
The Sorceress is the master of mystical forces and can attack her enemies using wind, water, lightning, and fire. She is capable of summoning meteor showers, blazing hydras, and lightning bolts. Even though she is weak when it comes to melee fights, she can teleport with ease.
The Paladin is the most powerful knight you have ever seen, and he is the master of sword fights, shields, and auras. He is great for face-to-face fights and if you upgrade him properly he might become the strongest melee fighter in the entire game.
The Necromancer is the master of summoning spells, poisoning, and curses. His greatest power is skeleton summoning and it will blow you away by how effective against enemies it is.
The Barbarian is a classic male warrior who relies on swords and axes. He is the master of warcries, close combat, and whirlwinds.
The Amazon is one of the strongest female characters in the game. Her special powers are spear kills, passive and magic skills, and bowhunting. She is extremely brave and capable of surviving a lot of damage.