For all the QWERTY Android aficionados out there, here is a fantastic piece of news! Motorola Droid 3 photos recently hit the web at the Howard’s Forums! It now seems Motorola is all set to step up to the dual-core game with its new Motorola Droid 3 aka Solana. Kbman, an industry insider has revealed the photographs and detailed specs of this incredible QWERTY dream phone, an addition to Verizon’s Droid lineup. Currently, the device has Android 2.2 Froyo OS, but it is highly likely that it will be updated to Android 2.4 to take maximum advantage of its integrated dual-core OMAP 4 Processor. This 1 GHz OMAP4 processor, when benchmarked by Anandtech.com, was found to be the fastest mobile processor till date, with performance even better than the famed Tegra 2 and Samsung Exynos processors.
There is no way to know if the Motorola Droid 3 will be 4G LTE compatible, but even if Motorola will stick to 3G on this one, I’m sure we’re now looking at one of the top smartphones of this summer . With an expected Android 2.2/2.4 OS, a dual-core OMAP 4 processor, a 4” screen with resolution of 540 x 960 pixels, an 8 mega-pixel camera, DLNA, HDMI, a 5-row keyboard with raised keys, sans d-pad, dedicated number keys, MotoBlur (Android UI replacement), and a microphone positioned from back to the front, the 4.3” Motorola Solana is certainly a welcomed step forward for the Droid series.
Motorola Droid 3 Release Date and Pricing Information
Unfortunately, we have no official info on the Motorola Droid 3 release date. However, it is anticipated that the device will come out sometime this summer. Most probably, it will be launched after the release of Droid Bionic, sometime in June/July, 2011. No pre-order information or official statements regarding the Motorola price are available till now.
Following are certain features that make Droid-3 unique and distinguish it from the earlier Droid models –
- Numbers have their own dedicated rows in Motorola Droid 3/Solana, making it a 5-row QWERTY smartphone. This is thus very different from Droid X that has no keyboard.
- The top-piece that covers its keyboard is much thinner than that in the previous models
- Call quality has been significantly improved with the use of a newly re-positioned microphone. Unlike Droid 2, in which the microphone was positioned at the bottom, the D-3 model will have it positioned from back to the front.
- Dual-core OMAP4 processor
- MotoBlur, a unique Android UI replacement by Motorola
Detailed Specifications List [Rumored]
Here is a detailed list of specifications of the Motorola Droid 3 aka Motorola Solana. Note that these specs are based on the leaked pictures and rumors flying on the web. No official information in this regard is available till date.
- Android 2.2 Froyo OS (expected to be updated to Android 2.4)
- 1 GHz OMAP 4 Processor
- HDMI video out-port
- 16GB of external memory & 1 GB RAM (However, some reports suggest it to be 512 RAM and 64GB external memory)
- 8 Megapixel Camera (Some reports suggest it to be a 5 Mp camera, but going by the possible resolution that can be supported by the firmware, I really think it is an 8 mp one)
- 5 Row QWERTY slider Keyboard
- 4 Inch Screen with QHD resolution (540 x 960 pixels)
- Micro-USB Port
- Slimmer profile than the Droid 1 or Droid 2