After a long wait, the Android 2.1 update for the Sprint HTC Hero has been launched! The update was approved by the carriers and brings an updated Sense UI in addition to the number of extras in Android 2.1 (Here’s the Android OS history). The Android 2.1 update for the Sprint HTC hero will also fix several minor bugs.
If you want to update your Hero to Android 2.1 through computer download, here is all the info you need.
Bear in mind that installing the this update will delete all previous data on your phone. You will lose all contacts that you haven’t been synced to an email account, unsent text messages, saved voicemail messages that are older than 5 days, voicemails older than 20 days that you haven’t listened to, and your call history. The date and email settings will also be set back to default. Files are saved on your memory card, which you should remove before you update your handset.
Before you start the download, be sure that you first back up your data. Here is how to back up your messages:
- Click the Applications tab and then push Messaging
- Choose the text message you want to save and hard press it. Then, a menu to Forward the message will appear.
Sprint HTC Hero Android 2.1 Update Guide
Any installed apps downloaded from the Android market must be re-installed. To download them again, you have to :
- Click on the Applications tab and then click Market
- If required, log on with the user and password from your Google account.
- Click My Downloads and a list of the paid applications will appear.
- The free applications on your phone will have to downloaded manually after you update
Choose Run in the dialog box and follow the given instructions to finish the installation
- To obtain the update software, you have to go to the HTC Hero download site
- If you don’t already have HTC Sync installed on your computer, now’s the time to get it.
- Download the RUU ROM Update Utility and save it on your desktop
- Run the .exe file and click Run in Windows XP (Yes in Windows 7)
- On the Welcome Screen, make sure to read the warning message and Read Me file, then check the “I understand” box and then select Next
- On the next screen, just follow the given steps and push the “Next” button
- The ’Verifying information on your Android phone. A “Please wait…” message will be shown.
- When the verification is complete, you will see present information about your Hero such as the model ID, language and image version. Now select Update.
- The screen will give data on update. Now click Next
- A confirmation message that you are ready to update your Hero to Android 2.1 will pop up and you’ll also see how much time it will take. Click Next to start updating to Android 2.1. It is extremely important that you do not remove the USB cable or start any other programs during the installation.
- The update is complete when you receive the following message: “Congratulations! Your ROM update has been completed. Your Android phone is now ready for use“. select Finish to exit
- Your Hero will restart and will then be ready for set-up